Who doesn’t want to live a long, healthy life? One of the key steps in maximising health is lowering homocysteine levels. We look at Patrick’s advice for doing so.
THE TERM ‘HOMOCYSTEINE’
Staying healthy, happy, clear-headed and full of energy into old age is possible if you understand the amazing predictive ability of the chemical homocysteine. Homocysteine occurs naturally in our bodies; it is an amino acid – the building blocks of protein – found naturally in the blood. Remarkably, this substance can reveal exactly what we should be doing to guarantee our future health.
Our level of homocysteine is called our ‘H score’ and can predict the risk of over 50 diseases as well as how quickly you will age. Ensuring an optimum level of homocysteine not only adds years to your life but also adds life to your years. So when it comes to achieving a homocysteine level in the healthy range, there is no better time than present.
LOWERING YOUR HOMOCYSTEINE
Lowering homocysteine is central to ageing; by lowering your H score your cells will age more slowly, you’ll have increased vitality and you’ll feel younger than your years. The good news is that anyone can lower their homocysteine level with the right combination of nutrients and dietary changes, together with lifestyle changes designed to reduce your risk.
To achieve an H score in the healthy range, Patrick suggests following the H Factor Diet:
- Eat less fatty meat, more fish and vegetable protein.
- Eat your greens, at least five servings a day.
- Have a clove of garlic a day or take a daily garlic supplement.
- Don’t add salt to food.
- Cut back on tea and coffee.
- Limit your alcohol consumption.
- Reduce your stress levels by adding stress-relief/relaxation activities to your lifestyle and changing your attitude.
- Stop smoking.
- Correct oestrogen deficiency.
- Supplement a high-strength multivitamin every day.
- Take homocysteine supplements, these include supplementing B2, B6, B12, Folic Acid, trimethyl glycine(TMG) and Zinc.
Patrick advises that you have an annual blood test to monitor your homocysteine levels. No matter what your result, PATRICK HOLFORD H FACTOR® provides a combination of vitamins, minerals and other nutrients, namely TMG, Gluthione, B Vitamins and Zinc to help you achieve a low and healthy H score.