In order to achieve optimum nutrition for the body, Patrick Holford suggests following a brain-boosting diet as well as taking daily supplements for extra get-up-and-go.
Here are just some of the supplements you could incorporate in to your daily diet to boost your mind as well as your body.
- Supplement a multivitamin and mineral that gives you at least 25 mg of all the B vitamins, 10 mcg of B12, 100 mcg of folic acid, 200 mg of magnesium, 3 mg of manganese and 10 mg of zinc.
- Supplement fish oil for Omega-3 fats and starflower or evening primrose oil for Omega-6 fats.
- Supplement a brain-food formula providing phosphatidyl choline and phosphatidyl serine, plus other brain-friendly nutrients such as DMAE and pyroglutamate.
- Add a tablespoon of lecithin granules, or a heaped teaspoon of ‘Hi-PC’ (phosphatidyl choline) lecithin to your cereal every day.
- Consider supplementing some free-form amino acids, or individual amino acids if you have a related mental health problem.
In order to ensure we are naturally full of energy, free of pain, happy, alert and purposeful, Patrick believes it is essential to get the balance between our mind, body and environment right.