The humble ancient chia seed is a powerhouse of nutrition all packed into one tiny little shell. If you are looking to boost your nutritional intake, then these are one amazing superfood to add to your diet. These chocolate bars made with chia seeds are great for holiday hikes or bike rides and for hungry children that threaten to shorten your beach time. Whole chia seeds add nutritional punch and crunch to these chocolate treats.
(Makes 8 bars)
- 1 ½ cups pitted dates
- ⅓ cup raw unsweetened cocoa powder
- ⅓ cup whole chia seeds
- ½ tsp. vanilla extract, optional
- ¼ tsp. almond extract, optional
- 1 cup raw slivered almonds or raw shelled pistachios
- Oat flour for dusting, optional
- Place dates in bowl of food processor; purée until thick paste forms. Add cocoa powder, chia seeds, and vanilla and almond extracts ( if using). Pulse until all ingredients are combined. Add almonds; pulse until nuts are finely chopped and well distributed through date mixture.
- Spread large sheet of wax paper on work surface, and dust with oat flour (if using). Transfer date mixture to wax paper, and use paper to press mixture into 2cm thick rectangle. Wrap tightly, and chill overnight.
- Unwrap block, and cut into 8 bars. Dust edges and sides with oat flour (if using) to prevent sticking. Rewrap each bar in wax paper.