Don’t forget to include a dish that will satisfy the vegetarians at your Christmas bash. This wonderfully colourful dish can either be served as a vegetarian main meal, or as a generous side salad. The different colours offer a range of phyto-nutrients; plant nutrients which have specific health benefits such as fighting infection and inflammation. The herbs in the dressing can be varied or use any dark green leaves such as watercress, rocket or spinach.
1 medium sweet potato
1 tbsp. mild olive oil
2 good handfuls rocket
2 good handfuls baby leaf spinach
225g cherry tomatoes, halved.
1 ripe avocado
1 tbsp pumpkin seeds, toasted if you prefer
A handful each of flat-leaf parsley and basil
2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Good pinch of sea salt, or to taste
Freshly ground black pepper
Zest of ½ a lemon
1 tbsp. lemon juice, or to taste.
- Preheat the oven to 200’C/gas mark 6.
- Cut the unpeeled sweet potato into long, evenly sized wedges, place them on a roasting tin, drizzle with the oil and toss to coat. Roast for 35 minutes.
- Meanwhile, very finely chop the parsley and basil (or blitz in a food processor) and mix with the rest of the dressing ingredients. Adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Toss the rocket, spinach and tomatoes together and place them in a salad bowl.
- Peel, stone and slice the avocado and spread over the mixed leaves. Top with the sweet potato wedges, scatter with the pumpkin seeds then finally spoon the dressing generously over the top.