These are very different from the cardboard-like fish fingers you buy in the shops. The coating is a gluten free, baked polenta crust that has that same golden, crispy appeal but no fat or additives. This meal is rich in essential fats and is wheat and dairy free.
400g skinned, undyed smoked haddock fillet, cut into strips or ‘fingers’
For the batter
- 200g instant (pre-cooked) polenta flour
- 210ml water
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 2 tsp. onion salt, or sea salt
- 4 tbsp. sesame seeds
- 2 tsp ground turmeric (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper (the batter tends to stick to an oiled tin)
- Mix together all the batter ingredients in a bowl until smooth.
- Drop the fish fingers, one at a time, into the batter and spoon the mixture over the fish to coat evenly.
- Place on the baking tray and cook for 10 minutes so that the coating is crisp and golden and the fish flakes easily
- Serve with sweet potato wedges, baked beans and broccoli or peas.