We all need a bit of inspiration when it comes to winter cooking. This recipe will be your new go-to for the winter days ahead. And get this – it’s vegetarian AND low GL.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 large cauliflower, chopped
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1-2 garlic cloves (depends on your preference)
- Sprigs of rosemary and thyme
- Parsley (optional)
- 1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 150g Greek Yoghurt
– Preheat oven to 375 degrees
– Boil cauliflower for 4 minutes
– In a large fry pan, heat butter over medium heat, and onions and sauté for 5 minutes.
– Add flour and stir until onions are coated. Slowly add milk and stir constantly until thickened.
– Add garlic, herbs, grated cheese and Greek Yoghurt. Stir until combined.
– Add boiled cauliflower and gently stir until coated. Place in an oven-safe pan OR casserole dish and bake for 20 minutes uncovered. Should start to golden.
You can really experiment with the herbs in this one. The usual casserole usually gets its creamy richness from a heavy-handed dose of cream. This one is lightened up with a healthier tangy Greek yoghurt. The great thing about casseroles is that you can throw in whatever leftover herbs and veggies you have lying around in the fridge. Add this vegetarian dish to your repertoire this winter for an easy and warming meal.