Jolly Healthy Granola
Did you know that shop bought cereals like granola style muesli’s and crunchy oat clusters contain some of the highest levels of sugar of all cereals? You may as well feed your child coco-pops. This home-made granola is still sweet, thanks to Xylitol, but also sugar- free and low in fat. Serve with live natural yogurt and chopped fresh fruit.
- 1 tbsp coconut oil, olive oil or butter
- 1tbsp xylitol
- 50g whole oatflakes
- 1 tbsp flaked almonds and 1 tbsp hazelnuts chopped
- 1 tbsp pumpkin seeds
- 1 tbsp ground almonds
- Gently melt the oil or butter in a frying pan with the Xylitol, add oatflakes and stir for about 3 minutes, or until they start to go golden and crisp up slightly
- Add the flaked almonds and hazelnuts and stir gently for a further 2 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the pumpkin seeds and ground almonds.
Your brain is 60 percent fat, so make sure that it is made up of the right fat; the essential fatty acid omega 3 is critical for brain development and function in children. Make sure they eat flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, and walnuts, as well as oily fish or eggs.