With exams season in full swing there’s no doubt you are on the look out for some fail-safe ways to boost brain performance. Patrick shares some tips to help improve mood, increase memory-functioning and sharpen your mind.
Patrick recommends starting with a brain friendly diet. Here’s how:
- Eat wholefoods – whole grains, lentils, beans, nuts, seeds, fresh fruit and vegetables – and avoid refined, white and overcooked foods.
- Avoid any form of sugar – in biscuits, cakes, confectionery and also foods with added sugar in the forms of syrups, dextrose and maltose.
- Eat five or more servings of fruits and vegetables daily – choose dark green, leafy and root vegetables and fresh fruit. Have bananas, grapes and potatoes in moderation only (they contain a lot of natural sugar). Dilute fruit juices and only eat dried fruits infrequently in small quantities, preferably soaked.
- Eat four or more servings of whole grains daily – such as rice, millet, rye, oats, whole-wheat, corn or quinoa as cereal, breads and pasta.
- Eat cold-water carnivorous fish. A serving of herring, mackerel, salmon or trout two or three times a week provides a good source of omega-3 fats and protein.
- Eat raw, unsalted seeds and nuts. The best seeds are flax (or linseed), hemp, pumpkin, sunflower and sesame. You get more goodness out of them by grinding them first and sprinkling on cereal, soups and salads.
- Use cold-pressed seed oils. Choose an oil blend containing flaxseed oil or hemp oil for salad dressings and cold uses, such as drizzling on vegetables instead of butter. Don’t cook with these oils as their fats are easily damaged by heat.
- Minimize your intake of fried food, processed food and saturated fat from meat and dairy to prevent damage to brain fats.
These habits benefit both your mind and your body, keeping you fit and healthy, and helping to maintain great moods and motivation to get that studying done. To ensure you have covered all your bases, Patrick also recommends investing in the PATRICK HOLFORD BRAIN FOOD PACK which combines 4 essential daily supplements:
- PATRICK HOLFORD ADVANCED OPTIMUM NUTRITION®
This supplement provides a combination of various vitamins and minerals in which your daily diet may be deficient.
- PATRICK HOLFORD IMMUNE C®
A key supplement for flu season providing a combination of herbal ingredients, Vitamins C and Zinc that are essential for everyday immune system nutrition.
- PATRICK HOLFORD ADVANCED BRAIN FOOD®
Essential to boost brain performance this daily supplement contains B vitamins, amino acids and phospholipids to provide essential nutrients to the brain.
- PATRICK HOLFORD ESSENTIAL OMEGAS
Finally, in this supplement pack is a blend of Omega 3 and Omega 6 essential fatty acids to provide EPA, DHA and GLA through fish oil and borage oil.